On April 10, 2018 The Department of Molecular Biology, Faculty of Biology and Biotechnology, held the Section of Genetics, Molecular Biology and Ecology under the International al-Farabi Alemi Conference. The panel of the section was presented by Prof. Z. Aytasheva (Chairperson), Prof. Z. Biyasheva, Prof. S. Kolumbayeva, Dr. Zh. Zhumabayeva, Dr. S. Dauletbayeva, Dr. E. Dzhangalina, Assoc. Prof. L. Ignatova, and Dr. A. Lovinskaya (Secretary). The section had considered 49 abstracts
During the session of the Section of Genetics, Molecular Biology and Ecology the audience listened to 12 talks, including 10 reported by KazNU students and 2 from Women’s Pedagogical University, Almaty.
The panel has awarded:
1-st place, Ms. Aliya Sultonova, 4-th year, Biology, for the report on “The study of the laboratory mice germ cells under the action of unsymmetric dimethylhydrazine (UDMH) and the extract of Inula britannica (family Compositae)”.
2-nd place, Ms. Ayghereem Kuanbai, 1 year of Ph.D. study, докторанту 1 курса Казахского национального университета имени аль-Фараби, for the report on: “Cloning of cDNA of polyADP-ribose polymerase 2 of Arabidopsis thaliana in E. cоli and charachteristics of polyADP-ribosylating activity of recombinant protein”.
Another 2-nd place diploma was handed to Ms. Diana Koldasbayeva, 4-th year student, Biology, for the report on: “The study on pollen grain sterility in the Mexican marigold, Tagetes erecta L. under the impact of Almaty ecological factors”.
3-rd place: Ms. Aidana Shagirova, 4-th year, Biology, “The study of genotoxic and antigenotoxic activities of sea-lavender, Limonium gmelinii (Willd.) O. Kuntze by Comet assay”.
3-rd place: Ms. Tatiana Abramyuk, 4-th year, Biology, “The study on the number of oncogenic polymorphisms for lung cancer in population of Kazakhstan”.
3-rd place: Ms. Afiza Umarova, 1 year of M.Sc. Study, Kazakh Women’s Pedagogical University, “The influence of sodium chloride on plants of sweet sorghum, Sorghum bicolor var. saccharatum Pers.
Incentive prize on behalf of the Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics “For adherence to experimental research” was established by the 1-st year M.Sc. Department’s students, which had returned from their trip by academic mobility from University of Pisa, Italy. This prize was delivered to Mr. Ruslan Mussabayev, 3-rd year, Biology, “Enhancement of protein translation in E. coli cells cultivated under different temperature regimes”.
The section has decided to:
i, mark quite high experimental level of the talks presented;
ii, emphasize participation of students from 9 institutions.
Participants have adopted the following resolution:
1. Confirm that all the tasks of the section were completed.
2. Emphasize the presence of certain errors in presentation titles, multiple authorships, and absence of academic style among some reporters.
3. Stress the necessity of participation of M.Sc. and D.Sc. fellows by means of organizing a separate section for them.
4. Point out lesser visibility of the presenters for conventional research schools (wheat genetics and breeding, fruit fly genetics, etc.).
5. Support development of research in fields of genetics, molecular biology and ecology.
6. Emphasize animated discussion raised by the panel members and at the same time the absence of skills and unwillingness to take part in scientific discussion displayed by young participants.
7. Acknowledge effective work oraganized by Dr. A. Lovinskaya, the secretary.
Participants have emphasized usefulness and scientific significance of the event which would promote new research ties and further prospects for inviting students and young scientists to next al-Farabi conferences arranged annually by KazNU in Almaty.
Communicated by Prof. Z. Aytasheva, Dr. A. Lovinskaya, Prof. Z. Biyasheva, Prof. S. Kolumbayeva, Dr. E. Dzhangalina, and Dr. S. Dauletbayeva